If you’re dealing with a malfunctioning or broken garage door opener, you may be wondering whether you should invest in garage door opener repair or just replace the whole unit. As a trusted garage door service provider serving Austin and Round Rock, TX, Gator Garage Doors offers our expert advice on when it’s better to repair versus replace your garage door opener.
Factors to Consider for Repair vs Replacement
Age of the Opener
If your garage door opener is over 10 years old, it may make more sense to replace it than sink money into repairs. Technology has advanced a lot in garage door openers over the past decade. A new model will have better security features, smartphone connectivity, battery backup, and energy efficiency.
Availability of Parts
Can you still get replacement parts for your existing garage door opener model? If parts are discontinued or hard to come by, the opener is too old to be worth fixing. It’s better to replace it.
Cost of Repairs vs Replacement
Get a repair quote before deciding. If the costs to fix your garage door opener are more than 50% of the price of a new unit, replacement may be the better investment.
Condition of the Opener
Does your opener have other issues besides the current problem? Noisy operation, sagging tracks, or frequency of breakdowns are signs it may be time for a new model. Extensive garage door opener repairs on an old, worn out opener won’t be worth it.
Why Garage Door Openers Stop Working
There are several common reasons garage door openers fail over time:
- Worn out gears: The gear drive is one of the most susceptible parts of the opener. Old worn gears will stop lifting the door properly.
- Broken chain/belt: The chain or belt that connects the drive to the door can snap after years of use. A broken chain makes the opener non-functional.
- Faulty circuit boards: Modern garage door openers have circuit boards and electronics that can malfunction over time. Shorts and loose connections can occur.
- Bent rails: If the metal opener track gets bent, it will jam the trolley and prevent smooth operation.
- Misaligned sensors: The photo eyes that detect objects and reverse the door need to be aligned. If they get bumped, it can cause the opener to stop working properly.
Garage Door Opener Installation in Austin & Round Rock, TX
As the most experienced garage door opener repair company in Austin and Round Rock, Gator Garage Doors wants to make sure our customers get the best value for their investment. Contact us for quotes on garage door opener repairs versus replacement. We’ll assess your model’s condition and advise you on whether fixing it or installing a new unit is the better option. Trust our expert technicians to help maximize the life of your garage door system.